Who doesn’t love peanut butter cups? They were one of my favorite candies growing up. Did you know they are so easy to make at home? Let me show you how to make these keto peanut butter cups with only 3 ingredients. They make great fat bombs to keep in the freezer, too!
I am not a fancy baker. In fact, I love shortcuts more than anyone I know. This recipe is no exception!
I have spared you the trouble of added ingredients that aren’t quite necessary for a delicious and easy keto peanut butter cup.
The only 3 ingredients are sugar free chocolate chips, sugar-free powdered sweetener, and natural peanut butter.
Can I use Baker’s chocolate?
If you are not able to find the Lily’s sugar free chocolate chips, I would recommend unsweetened bakers chocolate as an alternative. The Baker’s chocolate would increase the calories, but the carbs would remain the same. This would be a a cheaper alternative as well.
For a price comparison…a bag of Lily’s chocolate chips is about $11 and you would need the whole bag for this recipe.
9 ounces of unsweetened bakers chocolate would be about $4.50 but you would need to also factor in the cost of the sweetener to sweeten the chocolate.
The process would be similar to using the Lily’s chocolate chips. Both those and the bakers chocolate would need to be melted. You would just need to add sweetener to your taste to the bakers chocolate.
The nutrition is different, as stated above. The bakers chocolate PB cups have 46 more calories each.
I have found an alternative to the Lily’s chocolate chips that are over half the price! They are called Bake Believe and they are $3.98 at Wal-mart.
Melting the chocolate
There are 2 ways you can melt the chocolate for this recipe. My favorite method is the microwave but it is the easiest to mess up, lol. This is how Ina Garten taught me on her cooking show!
Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl (I use glass), and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir. If there is still a lot of un-melted chocolate, microwave for 30 more seconds. You can use a thermometer and heat the chocolate to 88F.
I used this method to make my keto chocolate bark with bacon.
You can also use the double boiler method. Simmer a sauce pot with water and place the glass bowl with the chocolate on top. Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water. stir the chocolate until it is melted and then immediately remove the bowl from the heat. Use a food thermometer and don’t let the chocolate get over 88F.
Homemade Keto Peanut Butter Cups - 3 Ingredients
- 1/2 cup Peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Powdered Sweetener (Click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
- 9 ounce Sugar free Chocolate Chips (Click here to see my favorite brand on Amazon)
- Line a 9x13 cupcake tin with liners. Spray the inside of the liners with cooking spray
- Place 1/2 of your chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and melt in the microwave for 1 minute. Do not over cook the chocolate. It is best to remove from the microwave when there are still a few pieces of chocolate not melted. You could also place the bowl on top of a pot of simmering water and stir until melted.
- When your chocolate is melted, spoon the chocolate evenly in the 12 cupcake liners.
- Place in fridge to let chocolate harden (should take about 10 minutes)
- While your chocolate is in the fridge, take a small mixing bowl and begin to mix together the peanut butter and powdered sweetener. You may need to place in microwave for 30 seconds to make mixing easier.
- Once your chocolate is done hardening, with a spoon begin to evenly put a layer of peanut butter on top of your chocolate layer. Once finished, place into the fridge for another 10 minutes.
- Melt the rest of your chocolate just as before. Remove the cups from the refrigerator and evenly spoon the melted chocolate on top. Chill for 10 minutes.
- Serve. See notes for storing.
- Storage: You can keep these stored in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Use almond butter or sun-butter in-place of the peanut butter.
- Sweetener: You can use any sweetener you like that is powdered. I like Swerve and Lakanto.
- Melting the chocolate: There are 2 ways you can melt the chocolate for this recipe.
- Microwave: Place the chopped chocolate in a microwave safe bowl (I use glass), and microwave for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave and stir. If there is still a lot of un-melted chocolate, microwave for 30 more seconds. You can use a thermometer and heat the chocolate to 88F.
- Double boiler method: Simmer a sauce pot with water and place the glass bowl with the chocolate on top. Make sure the bowl doesn't touch the water. stir the chocolate until it is melted and then immediately remove the bowl from the heat. Use a food thermometer and don't let the chocolate get over 88F.