It's not a holiday until the eggnog comes out! Now with my keto eggnog recipe you can join in on the eggnog fun! Thick and creamy with just a hint of nutmeg... this holiday classic with be a hit at any holiday gathering and it's sugar free!
It's that wonderful time of the year where we celebrate with all kinds of treats and goodies. You don't have to go all out with the sugar when we have recipes like this! Traditional eggnog is full of sugar but this keto friendly version will keep you feeling great. Serve this along with my Keto Candied Pecans, Keto Snowball Cookies, and Keto No Bake Cookies at your holiday parties this year!
What could be more traditional for the holidays in North America than eggnog? This classic thick and creamy beverage is traditionally made with egg yolks, cream, milk, nutmeg, and sugar. There are also variants that contain alcohol such as bourbon for a little kick.
How to make eggnog keto and sugar free
Eggnog is pretty easy to convert to sugar free because the only thing that is really on the naughty list is the sugar! If you have a traditional eggnog recipe that your family loves, simply replace the sugar with a sugar free sweetener and you will be well on your way to sugar free eggnog.
If you want to go full keto egg nog, then we have to do a little more replacing but it is still super simple. Most eggnog recipes contain milk, so instead of regular cows milk, we replace that with unsweetened almond milk.
Some people are turned off by the thickness of traditional eggnog with milk but this almond milk version is thinner so you may like this version even better!
Sugar free and keto eggnog recipe tips:
- Be sure to follow the directions and temper the egg yolks with the heated almond milk. Skipping this step will leave you with scrambled eggs!
- Top with additional homemade keto whipped cream and cinnamon for an even more festive drink!
- Use an electric mixer to beat the egg yolks with the sweetener to give your wrist a break.
Checkout these other delicious keto recipes:
- Instant Pot Egg Bites
- 10 Keto Takeout Favorites
- Keto Burrito Bowl
- Keto Strawberry Cheesecake Chia Pudding
I hope you enjoy this Keto Egg Nog recipe. Here at Low Carb with Jennifer we aim to deliver family friendly keto recipes that are easy to make with ingredients found in most grocery stores. No crazy ingredients here! If you are interested in more keto friendly recipes, I have a cookbook that is now available for pre-order! You can find that here: Jenniferbanz.com/cookbook
Sugar Free Keto Eggnog - 2 Carbs!
- 6 large egg yolks
- ½ Cup Granular Sweetener (Click here to see my favorite on Amazon)
- 1 Cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 Cups Unsweetened Almond milk
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch of salt
- ground cinnamon-garnish
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine egg yolks and sweetener together, using your hand mixer or whisk, mix until light and creamy. About 3 minutes.
- In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, combine the cream, almond milk, nutmeg and salt. Stir continuously until mixture reaches simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Add a big spoonful of the hot almond milk mixture to the egg yolks, whisking vigorously. Repeat this process with all of the almond milk mixture to temper the egg yolks.
- Once all of the the almond milk has been added to the egg yolks, pour the mixture back into the saucepan on the stove.
- Whisk continuously for just a few minutes more or until the mixture is slightly thickened. It will thicken more as it cools down.
- Remove form the heat and stir in the vanilla. Carefully pour the eggnog into a pitcher or container with lid. Refrigerate until chilled. Top with cinnamon and serve.