A new spin on the traditional stuffed green peppers…this healthy low carb recipe uses cauliflower rice, mushrooms, and Italian sausage. The filing is packed with flavor!
I definitely remember eating stuffed peppers as a kid. Actually, I remember eating the filling and then tossing the pepper to the side. My mom should have made me try it because I would have realized that Stuffed Green Peppers are amazing!
My version of stuffed peppers are different, but just as delicious. The ingredients I use for the filling are: cauliflower rice (use frozen to make it easier), Italian sausage, mushrooms, garlic, and Monterey jack cheese (I’m obsessed).
To start this easy stuffed green peppers recipe, clean the peppers by cutting off the tops and removing the seeds. Then we need to season the insides of the peppers with salt.
“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.”
After getting that all prepped, we need to start making the filling. Sauté the Italian sausage until it’s no longer pink, then add in the mushrooms, garlic, and cauliflower rice. I like to use frozen cauliflower rice. You can now buy larger bags in the freezer section which I am loving. I used 3 cups for this recipe.
Now it’s time to start filling the green peppers! This amount of filling was the perfect amount for 4 good size peppers. I love it when that happens!
I like to pack the filling in and smooth down the top. Then top the peppers with a little more cheese.
Now it is time to bake these beauties in the oven. Cover the peppers with foil and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, then we remove the foil and let them bake for 15 minutes more to get the cheese nice and bubbly.
I hope you all love this Stuffed Green Peppers recipe!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH STUFFED PEPPERS?
I found that this paired incredibly well with Blistered Green Beans with Bacon.
Easy Stuffed Green Peppers
- 4 Green Bell Peppers, tops and seeds removed
- 1 Pound Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- 2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 3 Cups Riced Cauliflower, Fresh or frozen
- 1 ½ Cups Shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F. Place the peppers in an 8x8 baking dish and season the insides with salt. Set aside.
- Make the filling: In a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and break up the sausage until no longer pink. Add in the chopped mushrooms, garlic, cauliflower, and 1 cup of the cheese. Taste the mixture and season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- Using a spoon, fill each green pepper with the filling mixture, packing each one full and smoothing out the top. Top with the remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Cover the peppers with foil and bake in the pre-heated oven for 35 minutes. When the time is up, remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes. Serve.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- Monterey Jack is my preferred cheese, but you could use cheddar or gouda.
- If you use fresh cauliflower, the cooking time will remain the same as with the frozen. You would just need to follow my tutorial for ricing the cauliflower here: Cauliflower Rice.
⭐ Did you make this Stuffed Green Peppers recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer