This Keto Sloppy Joes Recipe is the perfect keto and low-carb meal even picky eaters will enjoy! The best part is this recipe is so quick and easy you can have it on the dinner table in under 30 minutes.
I love to serve this easy keto sloppy joes recipe with my Keto 90 second bread (using almond flour or coconut flour), cloud bread, or any low carb hamburger buns to make this a complete meal. You can also make this into a quesadilla using low-carb tortillas, or turn it into a sloppy Joe casserole, So good!
This easy dinner recipe is such a great option if you're on the keto diet. It is definitely a childhood favorite and it is also a family favorite! Homemade sloppy joes is perfect for busy weeknights or for meal prep. At only 7 net carbs, it's definitely a perfect low-carb recipe and perfect for the ketogenic diet.
This section explains how to choose the best ingredients for this keto sloppy Joe recipe, what each one does in the recipe, and substitution options. For a printable recipe, see the recipe card below.
1 ½ pounds of Ground beef - I like to use lean ground beef in my sloppy Joe filling.
1 tablespoon McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning - I love the flavor that this seasoning gives the keto sloppy joes. It includes a combination of garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, and salt. If you would like to use something else, I would suggest your favorite steak seasoning.
½ Onion, diced - I am a huge fan of frozen diced onion.
1 Red bell pepper, diced - I love the color of the red but you can also use green bell pepper. This is an easy way to get in some extra veggies!
1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar - I used this type of vinegar simply because it is what I had on hand. You could also use red wine vinegar or white vinegar as a replacement.
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup Tomato sauce (tomato puree) - instead of using sugar-free ketchup in our sloppy Joe mixture, I like to use a combo of tomato sauce, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, and vinegar.
There is unsweetened ketchup made by Primal Kitchen that is similar in flavor, but at $6.99 a bottle, I think I can make my own. It is a great keto option, but your local grocery store probably doesn't carry it.
2 tablespoons Tomato paste
Kosher salt and pepper to taste
Keto sloppy Joe's in under 30 minutes
Make your sloppy Joe meat (printable recipe card below): Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once your skillet is ready add the ground beef and begin to brown and crumble. Drain any excess fat.
- If your ground beef is really lean, you may need to use a little avocado oil or olive oil to the pan so the ground beef doesn't stick.
Season the meat with the steak seasoning and add in the onion and bell pepper.
Stir to make sure ingredients are mixed well.
Now just cook until ground beef is all brown and onions and bell peppers are soft.
Add in the remaining ingredients to the meat mixture.
Stir well, cover, reduce heat to low and let simmer for 20 minutes.
Finally, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Remove the sloppy joes from the heat and serve with your choice of bread for sloppy Joe sandwiches.
Recipe tips and storage
- Tomato Sauce and Tomato Paste: These ingredients add the most carbs to the final dish, but also the most flavor. When shopping, find one with sugar-free ingredients.
- Next time make sloppy Joe quesadillas with cheddar...amazing!
- Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Looking for more family friendly easy meals?
The Best Keto Sloppy Joes Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links
- 1 ½ pounds Ground beef
- 1 tablespoon McCormick Montreal Steak Seasoning
- ½ Onion, diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup Tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- Kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once your skillet is ready add the ground beef and begin to brown and crumble. Drain any excess fat.
- Season the meat with the steak seasoning and add in the onion and bell pepper. Let cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until hamburger is all brown and onions and bell peppers are soft.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and stir well. Cover with a lid, reduce to low and let simmer for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and serve with keto hamburger buns or lettuce wraps.
- Nutrition: Calculated using 90/10 ground beef and does not include the bread. 1 serving is ¼th of the recipe.
Nutrition per serving
Nutrition is provided as a courtesy only. Please re-calculate on your own with the ingredients and amounts you used for the most accurate data.