This no fuss chicken cacciatore stew recipe turns an extremely popular traditional family recipe into one that can be made any weeknight! I used boneless skinless chicken thighs to maximize the authentic flavor. I give stove top instructions, as well as instructions for freezing and slow cooker!
Related: I get all of my grass fed beef and pasture raised chicken from Butcher Box. Read my honest review here.
I think Italian food is probably my favorite out of all the cuisines. I’m not talking about spaghetti and pizza. I’m talking about recipes like this Easy Chicken Cacciatore or Italian Stuffed Chicken Breast. And now I am realizing I don’t have nearly enough Italian recipes on my blog!
I do have a lot of chicken recipes on my blog that you should definitely check out: Creamy White Chicken Chili, Keto Chicken Pot Pie, Curry Chicken Salad, Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole, Air Fryer Whole Chicken, Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Legs, and Crockpot Chicken Fajitas.
I love the idea of chicken cacciatore, but the traditional method uses whole pieces of chicken. I am not against this method, but I wanted to make a version that was easier to make on a weeknight and didn’t involve grease splattering all over my stove top.
CHICKEN CACCIATORE STEW – CROCKPOT FREEZER MEAL
In addition to the stovetop version of this recipe, I am giving instructions for making this into a freezer meal. It is as simple as throwing all of the ingredients into a freezer bag or bowl and freezing it for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat the meal, let it thaw overnight, and cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours. You come home to a house smelling amazing and a delicious home cooked meal!
EASY CHICKEN CACCIATORE STEW – STOVETOP
For the stovetop version of this recipe, start with a heavy bottom pot like a dutch oven. Heat the avocado oil over medium heat, and add the onion, red bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.
Now we add the chicken and let it brown for a bit to develop some flavor. Season with salt and pepper.
Now we add in the rest of the ingredients…diced tomatoes, capers, dried oregano, and fresh basil.
We are going to let this simmer uncovered for about 15 minutes to let the chicken cook all of the way through.
It turns into this delicious thick Italian stew with flavors that cannot be beat. The capers are my favorite part!
⭐ Did you make this Easy Chicken Cacciatore Stew Recipe? Tag me on Instagram so I can see! @lowcarbwithjennifer
Easy Chicken Cacciatore Stew
- 3 Tablespoons avocado oil (Click here for my favorite brand on Amazon)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Red bell pepper, diced
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 6 Boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 28 ounce Can diced tomatoes with juice
- 3 Tablespoons Drained capers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dried oregano
- 1/4 Cup Chopped fresh basil leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the avocado oil over medium heat in a heavy bottom dutch oven. Add in the diced onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add in the diced chicken, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the chicken is browned on all sides. add in the tomatoes, capers, oregano, and basil. Simmer, uncovered, until the chicken is cooked through. 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with a side salad, zucchini noodles, or spaghetti squash.
WATCH HOW TO MAKE IT
- Freezer and slow cooker instructions: throw all of the ingredients into a freezer bag or bowl and freeze for up to 2 months. When you are ready to eat the meal, let it thaw overnight, and cook in the slow cooker on high for 4 hours, or low for 8 hours.
- to make this recipe 1 WW point, use chicken breast instead of thighs and reduce the oil to 1 tablespoon